Thursday, October 25, 2012

Oh, I wish...


I'm done. I have officially made my choices and I know I'm not the only one who is ready for these elections to be finished.  November 6 can't come soon enough. I wish that, when my vote went into the tally machine, a switch could be flipped and I would no longer be exposed to campaign materials. I get on the average of 3 pieces of junk mail each day and probably 4 or 5 robo-calls. Not to mention the bombardment of television ads. And there are so many lies and twisted information that, if you don't do some research yourself, you have no idea who to vote for. We really need some campaign reform in this country and it makes me very sad to think of all the good things that the money spent on a political campaign could do.

In Germany the state and local laws limit campaign billboards and signs to a few weeks before the election. State laws limit campaign advertising in radio and television to a few spots that are allotted in the month preceding the election. By an agreement among the states, the political parties may not purchase any advertising time on radio or television, and are thereby limited to the few officially granted campaign spots. French laws are similar. So civilized!

I'll get off my soap box now.




2 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Civilized indeed! I voted today. I am weary of campaign rhetoric, sick of misleading advertising, and oh so weary of it all. Tired to the bone of sifting through the it all for a tiny nugget of truth.

Alice Walkowski said...

Amen!!!!